Computer Engineering is a profession that applies engineering principles and methodologies in the analysis, design, implementation and management of hardware, software and the integration of both.
The program includes courses in computer hardware, system development and design, microelectronics and embedded systems, data communication and network administration, and software development and design.
By the time of graduation, students will be able to:
- apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering to solve complex engineering problems;
- identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems;
- solve complex engineering problems by designing systems, components, or processes to meet specifications within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, cultural, social, societal, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability in accordance with standards;
- design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze, and interpret data, and synthesize information to provide valid conclusions for investigating complex problems;
- use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice in complex engineering activities;
- apply knowledge of contemporary issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice;
- understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development;
- apply principles of ethics and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities;
- function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multidisciplinary settings;
- communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with various communities including engineering experts and society at large using appropriate levels of discourse;
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments;
- recognize the need for, and prepare to engage in lifelong learning.
Career Opportunities for Computer Engineering:
- Project Engineer/manager
- Network systems administrator/ manager
- Data Communications Engineer
- Systems Engineer/developer/manager
- System Analyst/designer
- Technical Support Engineer/manager
- Quality Assurance Engineer/manager
- Test Engineer